|

Waste to turn into power

By M.ZOLJARGAL

Mongolians produce an average 1.2 to 1.3 million tons of waste per year. Members of the Mongolian National Association of Waste Recycling Industries (MNAWRI) collect, classify and recycle 30 percent of the waste and export it, while the remaining 70 percent is disposed of in landfills. But now, the buried waste could be turn into a source of power. MNAWRI has made quite an effort to introduce this advanced technology, popular in developed countries, to Mongolia and worked with Germany’s PSE Engineering to cooperate on the matter, signing a memorandum of cooperation on October 2.

Germany is famous for its recycling industry in Europe and PSE Engineering will formulate consolidated research on the waste of 21 provinces and Ulaanbaatar, and will choose specific technology to use for recycling, as well as what plans and projects to implement in Mongolia.

PSE Engineering produces power, heat, and gas by burning waste at a very high temperature, and sells its energy to local power suppliers. Small recycling plants can recycle over 45,000 tons of waste, while PSE Engineering recycles over 100,000 tons of waste per year.

Short URL: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=6236

Posted by on Oct 4 2013. Filed under Domestic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Recently Commented

  • Honheree: It is a sad and awful sight to see so many animals dead from dzuds. These have happened in the past and since 2004 there have...
  • Harvey Dent: Mongolia does not get 476,000 tourists a year. Its gets 476,000 arrivals, most of these are Chinese construction workers....
  • Honheree: It is good but unusual that a Mongolian is so forthright. I am D. Ganbold will be criticised by Mongolians for telling the...
  • Honheree: Be thankful Mongolia is so cheap. In USA lamb in stores costs 69,281 MNT /kg and sirloin which is cheaper cut of beef is...
  • Honheree: This $250 a day suggestion is the typical idea that is put out by some Mongolians without thinking about the pros and cons and...