Hospital authorities being held responsible for maternal death


Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Health and Sports (MHS) Ts.Oyunbaatar has stated that the authorities of First Maternity Hospital are to be held responsible for the November 21 death of a woman after childbirth and the death of her child the following day.
The cause of the mother’s death remains unknown, as forensic test results haven’t been released, but her family members and witnesses at the hospital believe it was due to neglect by hospital staff.
Minister Ts.Oyunbaatar assigned a team to investigate, assess, and monitor the hospital’s services and care provided, and the results of their review were presented to Deputy State-Secretary of the MHS N.Bat-Erdene and authorities of the Health Department of Ulaanbaatar and the First Maternity Hospital.
Head of the Health Department of Ulaanbaatar Sh.Enkhbat was ordered to hold First Maternity Hospital authorities responsible for the loss of their patient’s lives, and asked them to develop ethical principles for the maternity hospital staff and to improve the implementation of hospital regulations, standards, and guidelines.
On the morning of November 19, the 27-year-old woman checked into the hospital when she began to go into labor. She left her home and told her husband, “I’ll be back home after I give birth.” Her father, L.Lagsannamdag, said in an interview that her daughter was previously under a doctor’s care and that she and her baby were healthy.
According to her father, she had been texting her husband from the start of her arrival at the hospital. On Friday, November 20, her health conditions began deteriorating. She messaged her husband and told him that her legs were becoming numb. Her family went to the hospital and asked the doctors why she was still not checked into the delivery ward. The doctors reportedly told them that beds were still taken and to wait. Witnesses allege that the pregnant woman was ignored until Saturday, when she started having seizures. The doctors asked her family to sign papers to proceed with an emergency Caesarean section.
L.Lagsannamdag says that he was told by doctors that the baby had birth asphyxia, and was put on life support. They stressed that his daughter was in poor health and that “her uterus had started rotting from inside”.
“I was shocked, so I couldn’t understand what she was saying at the moment. We weren’t allowed to stay next to her in the hospital. A few hours later, a nurse came in asking for two family members to quickly go to her room. She had already started turning blue when I kissed her,” her father said.

Short URL: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=17172

Posted by on Nov 29 2015. Filed under Domestic. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Reply

4 + = 10

Recently Commented

  • Oyun: www.theblueeconomy.org
  • Honheree: It is a sad and awful sight to see so many animals dead from dzuds. These have happened in the past and since 2004 there have...
  • Harvey Dent: Mongolia does not get 476,000 tourists a year. Its gets 476,000 arrivals, most of these are Chinese construction workers....
  • Honheree: It is good but unusual that a Mongolian is so forthright. I am D. Ganbold will be criticised by Mongolians for telling the...
  • Honheree: Be thankful Mongolia is so cheap. In USA lamb in stores costs 69,281 MNT /kg and sirloin which is cheaper cut of beef is...